daVinci® Robotic Surgical System
The da Vinci® system is a technologically-advanced alternative to traditional open or laparoscopic surgeries. Seated at a special viewing and control console, the surgeon controls a robotic arm unit to perform the delicate surgical procedures inside the patient, while the system allows him to work more intricately, and see in far greater detail, than traditional surgical methods.
Instead of using a long, traditional incision to open the surgical site, surgeons using da Vinci need only make small incisions into which they guide three thin stainless steel probes guided by the da Vinci surgical robotic arms. One rod is fitted with a camera that shows the surgeon a detailed three-dimensional view of the operation through the viewing console. The other two hold the delicate surgical instruments the surgeon uses to dissect and suture the tissue being operated on, using precision controls that move in perfect synchronization with the surgeon's hands.
Smaller incisions mean less trauma to surrounding tissue, which translates into reduced hospital stays. In many cases, a patient can go home in a day or two following a robotic procedure—half the time required for traditional open surgery. Robotic surgery also speeds up recovery times, reduces post-operative infection risks, and lets patients return to their normal daily activities far sooner with more successful outcomes.
For more information about the da Vinci Si Surgical System, click here.
Hysterectomy is the surgical removal of the uterus. This procedure may be done because of fibroid tumors, endometriosis, or cancer.
da Vinci Hysterectomy
Traditional open gynecologic surgery, using a large incision for access to the uterus and surrounding anatomy, has for many years been the standard approach to many gynecologic procedures. Yet with open surgery can come significant pain, trauma, a long recovery process and threat to surrounding organs and nerves.
For complex hysterectomies and other gynecologic procedures, robot-assisted surgery with the da Vinci Surgical System may be the most effective, least invasive treatment option. Through tiny, 1-2 cm incisions, surgeons using the da Vinci System can operate with greater precision and control, minimizing the pain and risk associated with large incisions while increasing the likelihood of a fast recovery and excellent clinical outcomes.
Learn More: da Vinci Hysterectomy
The prostate is a gland that wraps around a man's urethra, the tube that carries urine from the bladder. Cancer can form inside this gland and exist for years without causing symptoms.
da Vinci Prostatectomy
da Vinci Prostatectomy is a minimally invasive, robotic-assisted surgical procedure that removes the cancerous prostate gland and related structures. The potential benefits of the da Vinci Prostatectomy are:
- Effective Cancer Control: Studies have shown that experienced surgeons have achieved excellent results in removing prostate cancer without leaving cancer cells behind.
- Improved and Early Return of Sexual Function: Studies have shown that most patients have a rapid return of sexual function.
- Improved and Early Return of Continence: Studies have shown that most patients have a rapid return of urinary continence.
- Improved Results Over Traditional Treatments: Patients may benefit from surgical treatment of localized prostate cancer, the established gold standard, as compared to radiation. Surgery has a higher and longer survival rate than radiation or other treatments. Surgery also has a lower risk of long-term complications than radiation treatments.
- Minimally Invasive Surgery: The da Vinci System enables surgeons to perform even the most complex and delicate procedures through very small incisions with unmatched precision.
Learn More: da Vinci Prostatectomy